Olga is a multi-award winner artist, she has collaborated with theater, musical and dance companies as well in multidisciplinary projects in Canada, USA and Colombia. She holds an MFA in dance at York University of Toronto. Olga is original from Bogotá- Colombia and currently working with exchange projects between Colombia and Canada.
“I consider the arts a basic link in the process of building community and society. As a choreographer and dancer that lives in a contemporary world I explore my personal reality as a woman whose life is affected by cultural heritage but also by global information, technology and all the movement in time, space. and energy.
The dialogue and contrast between movement, sound, music, gesture, voice and context are important elements in the development of my creations. I am interested in multidisciplinary works and I pursue the collaboration with artists from different cultural backgrounds that work with performing and visual arts.”
Portafolio of works
THE ECHOE OF A HAIR
Stories of Hair
Premiered as short piece in 2016, Toronto
and as full lengh work in 2018, Colombia
Inspirted in the book "Tejedora de Coronas". 2017
A ritmic and rebel "comun" flower. Powerful solo by Olga.
A contemporary dance work inspired by the colombian caribean.
Creation Research Grant in Dance, Colombian Ministry of Culture 2014. Premiered in Santa Marta, Colombia.
- Wind in the leaves collective and allies- At Citadel TorontoThu, Jan 09Toronto
- FESTA Bogotá- Feminin in teaWed, Apr 08Sala Otto de Greiff
- Artistic Residency in ColombiaThu, Feb 13Residencia CanibalFeb 13, 2020, 5:00 PM – Mar 13, 2020, 9:00 PMResidencia Canibal, Barrio abajo, Barranquilla, Atlántico, ColombiaCome to Barranquilla for Carnivals, at the Canibal Residency. You can join Olga experimenting with in the work Cabaret Carnaval, or you can just explore any aspect of the Carnivals. Call open to artists of diverse disciplines: Visual artists, writers, photographers, sound artists, choreographers.
- WORKSHOP BODY AND LANDSCAPE, SANTA MARTASat, Jan 11Pozos Colorados
- WORSKSHOP IN SANTA MARTASat, Dec 14Playa Pozos Colorados
Dance is poetry in movement
Working with diverse projects
One important aspect of Olga´s work is sharing ideas and explorations with artists and projects of diverse geograpraghies and pulsions. Thus, here are the currently collaborations.
TRIANGLE PROJECT COLLECTIVE
Choreographer Olga Barrios (Colombian/Canadian), performance artist/activist Coman Poon (Chinese-Canadian/Settler-immigrant) and musician/composer Edgardo Moreno developped The triangle project, a cross-disciplinary and polyaesthetic artistic conversation across physical and technologically mediated distance, where three artists from three different latitudes send signals to each other in order to transmute the space between.
FEMININ IN TEA
A dance theatre work
A new work, co-created by Olga Barrios and Monica Gontovnik, departing from the poems of the book Feminin in tea by Monica Gontovnik. With guest performer Norma Araiza. Recently presented in Toronto at the Citadel.
A performative space in Barranquilla, Colombia
Co-directed and created by Olga Barrios and Tania Iglesias, since august 2017 in Barranquilla, Colombia.
PATA E GANSO (goose leg) is a space open to impulse artistic scenic creation and production of works.
The colective has a constant open call for artists in different levels of thier career, and it is also a space open to present works in different moments of development.